BGCC Marathon Races Weekend
Coming up on the first weekend in March, the annual BGCC-hosted marathon races!
Saturday 2nd March: PNSW 2019 Marathon Series Race 1, incorporating the NSW State Championships for Single boats.
Entries at: Race 1 Entry
- if you want to race a distance similar to your age group race at Nationals or you want to chase a medal ...pick one of the Championship classes
- if you’re in a K1 or C1 and happy to portage (where your age group requires it) - enter the ICF Selection class
- if you’re in a K1 or C1 but won’t portage or you’re on an Ocean Ski - enter ICF non-selection
- all other boat types in the Singles Championship enter Rec class
If you’re in a double or want a shorter race than the championship distances...enter the non-championship race of the distance you want to paddle.
Sunday 3rd March: BGCC's 43rd Burley Griffin Bash and Mini-Bash.
Entries at: BG Bash Entry
Race distances of 30 km, 15 km. 5 km and 3 km available.
- Get your name engraved on the silver cups for the fastest 30 km Canoe and fastest 30 km Kayak.
- If you have paddled in the single-boat Championships on Saturday, come out in a Double boat on Sunday.
- Novice and Junior paddlers are welcome to "put their toes in the water" for the 3 km and 5 km distances. Experienced paddlers - take a novice or junior out with you to show them how it is done!
Wetspot Summer Series 2018-19
The series is held every Wednesday twilight over one or two laps of the club’s Molonglo River course. First start (two laps) is at 5.55pm; second start (one lap) is at 6pm.
Handicap racing is not working for us in the twilight time available. So we have decided for the 201819 summer to revert to the timetrial format of previous years, with the first pointscore event being conducted on 14 November.
Paddlers need to register their names and expected lap time (in minutes) BEFORE coming to the river. This is needed only once per season. To register, go to:
Thanks to Tony Mee, Russell Murphy and Carolyn Williams for learning the Webscorer software and to the Dohnt family for their great post-TT barbeque fare.
Contact the Russell Lutton, BGCC marathon convenor, for information on the series.
After your Induction, there will be coaching/paddling sessions available on Tuesdays, 5:45 p.m.; and Sundays, 9:30 a.m. For more information, see "Coaching and Instruction options" under Coaching on the above menu.
A TASTE OF PADDLING
The Burley Griffin Canoe Club holds 'A Taste of Paddling' session for those people who would like to try out kayaking. The sessions are held on the Molonglo River in calm conditions close to shore.
The next Taste of Paddling will be held on the following dates:
Sunday 20th January; Sunday 17th February; Sunday 17th March.
For more information, contact: Patricia